The outgoing article was all web-view. The new Hybrid Article is native code (rendered on device) and a web view living together in perfect harmony. Here are the key features of improvement:
- Speed - Photos, video players, headlines and description text will load instantly. We progressively load the rest of the article as the user engages with it.
- In-Article Video Player - Video playback and pre-roll can happen right in the article view. No extra clicking to secondary views.
- Native Transitions - A new article-to-article transition that feels connected and keeps users scrolling.
- Recommended Stories - We now recommend stories for users that we can navigate to instantly in app.
- Still Flexible for Embed Support - We still use a web view in the body of your article so you can embed whatever you need. Learn more at Advanced Article Content.
- Lays groundwork for in-line native ads!
You have great videos and we want to drive more plays in any way we can. In addition to our all new video player, we have added video "tease" to our article stream.
- Tease - 10 second, muted video preview will play in stream as the user scrolls.
- Single Tap Playback - The user used to have to tap 2 - 3 times to get video going from the stream. Now one tap on the video will launch article view and start playing video.
Following to Targeted Push Topics
Many out there were asking for this change. When a new users opens the app and arrives at the "Choose topics to follow..." screen, we toggle all topics on to ease the barrier of interaction. Users will essentially opt out instead of opting in from zero.
New Chartbeat integration for real-time analytics when users are visiting Home screen, Subcategory and Article screen. See more details here.
New MG2 Paywall integration. Another paywall provider should be available on old Publisher for config. The app will adhere to the Authentication of username/password and Authorization of the Articles being read. The integration follows the same structure as all other providers for behavior and configurable labels & error messages. See more details here.
Hide Ads in Subcategory
Now ads can be hidden at the Subcategory level via a new checkbox in old Publisher.
Native Advertising Design Update
Updated look and feel of native advertising locations to meet more advertiser requirements.Our spots now meet the design standards of the most popular native advertising sources.
Other App Enhancements and Fixes
Animated GIF Support
We now have animated gif support after overcoming a memory leak around gif playback.
While validating our video playback efforts we noticed some inconsistent event reporting around video. You should start to see more consistent and reliable analytics around video events.
Podcasting UI Refresh
The audio playback controller in-app has received a much more modern look and feel.
Newscycle Publisher Changes
User Management and New User Permissions
We have long been asked to add some user permissions to our publishing tool. Along with the addition of a top level "App Owner" permission that can be transferrable we have added an assortment of roles below the company admins. Expect to see more documentation on this soon.
- Company Owner - Has full permission to all users and apps owned by the company.
- Company Admin - Has full permission to access everything in the app and others owned by the company.
- Content Editor - Can edit content in the app, but cannot change settings.
- Push Notification Contributor - Access to content and send push.
- Reporting - Gives users access to app dashboard and statistics.
- Marketing - Has access to design and layout Management.
- Support - Enables the ability to submit support tickets that count against your Service Level Agreement.
Proof of Ownership Document
Both Apple and Google have been requiring a proof of app ownership during app submissions. We are providing a template, instructions and a place to upload your document in "Settings."
Push Notification Scraper and Old Push Notification UI
To ease workflow anxiety, we have ported the page scraping functionality over to the new Mobile Manager: